Thursday, July 13, 2006

Whether vs. If


Using Whether and If


1). After Prepositions , we use only whether.


  • I haven't settled the question of whether I'll go back home.
  • There was a big argument about whether we should move to a new house.


2). Whether, not if, is used before infinitives.


  • They can't decide whether to get married now or wait.


3). When a question-word clause is a subject or complement, whether is preferred.


  • Whether we can stay with my mother is another matter. - (Subject)
  • The question is whether the man can be trusted. - (Complement)
  • The question is if the man can be trusted. - Correct but less preferred.


4). If an indirect question is
fronted , whether is used.

  • Whether I'll have time I'm not sure at the moment.


5). Whether is generally preferred in a two-part question with or.

  • The Directors have not decided whether they will recommend a dividend or reinvest the profits.


6). After verbs that are more common in a formal style, whether is preferred.

  • We discussed whether we should close the shop.


7). Whether and if both can introduce indirect questions.

  • I'm not sure whether/ if I'll have time.


8). Yes/ No questions are reported with if or whether.

  • I don't know if/ whether I can help you.


Note - The word IF does not always signal a conditional sentence. In such cases, GMAT prefers "whether" instead of "if"

  • I don't know if I will go to the dance. (Incorrect)
  • I don't know whether I will go to the dance. (Correct)


Click on link below and view sentence no. 45 and 46 for the above rule.
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com